Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sapido router RB 1132 review





















Because of temporary place of living in Helsinki I have to use a 3g net. It's nice that Finland is quite advanced at internet technologies and I could get a modem (huawei e1552) + 1month free net for 40 E, afterwards 20e for 1mbit or 30e for 3.6 mbit's.
So to share the net between my computers I decide to buy a new router which supports USB modems. After a small research I have chosen Sapido RB 1132. It's linux based (no hacks available jet), has wireless n and it is small. I bought it for 77$ on ebay (14 Eur Finlands VAT).
Installation was very easy except it was fun finding a option in Chinese language to change to English. After some basic configuration - WPA2 passphrase, DHCP scope everything started to work fine. So i will make a small review on functionality:
Interface seems very simple, easy and quick.
3G
A bit of surprise here, directly in PC 3g modem provides ~2mbit speed, through Sapido router - ~1mbit.
802.11n
Had not tested jet, none of my computers has n card.
802.11b
Everywhere in flat the speed is reasonable (from Ethernet) - ~2-3 megabytes/s
Ethernet
It's 100mbit/s not 1000, so if theoretically n network would work with 300mbits than connection to wired computer would still be 100mbits.
DHCP
It's a pitty that you can't use fixed leases together witch scope. Either one or another.

Conclusion
The router is ok for my needs but I really hope that 3g speed will increase with next firmware releases.
Edit 09.2010 Next firmware did not solve speed issues

No comments:

Post a Comment